Communication is a two-way interaction process involving two or more persons. In everyday life, people interact with each other more than frequent. Hence, developing effective communication skills is crucial in building the relationship within a certain community. Grasping with the effective communication skills, we not only could convey the messages correctly to another person, but could also enhance the responsiveness of that person as he or she could interpret the message being conveyed more accurately.
Since communication is a two-way process, both the speaker and the listener play a part in making the communication efficiently and successfully. As a speaker, we have to make sure that we do convey the message efficiently and appropriately in line with the situation and the persons we are communicating with. On the other hand, as a listener, we should try to overcome the barriers interrupting the communication process and listen attentively to the speaker to avoid any misunderstanding arisen from the misinterpretation.
In addition, communication skills may reflect our personalities to the person we first met especially during a job interview. Therefore, if we were wanted to leave a better impression of ourselves on another person, we have to make an effort to improve our communication skills. Besides that, it could make people feel closer to each other if both parts could communicate effectively, especially when someone is pouring out his or her feelings to you hoping that you could understand and give some comforts to make him or her feels better.
Last but not least, I feel that effective communication skills are not just the bridging component between two or more persons, but also a mean of way for people to express their thoughts and feelings appropriately.
Hi Sinhui, your post is pretty informative and I agree with your post that being able to communicate effectively will allow both parties involved to feel closer. I find that if I can talk to a person and find that “instant connection”, I tend to feel more at ease and worry less of how he/she will perceive me. Being at ease means I can be more of myself and communicate back more effectively too – something sort of the opposite of a vicious cycle – a “un – vicious cycle”.
ReplyDeleteI cannot agree more with you that listening intently is very crucial as like what you stated it can reduce misinterpretations and one can be more productive through active listening. Sometimes I have problems practicing active listening. This is especially so when I am tired or when the discussion topic is uninteresting and when the external environment is too noisy and not conducive for listening. I learn through a sort of painful way the consequences of not practicing active listening. During one of my lab sessions, I misheard instructions and placed the wrong chemicals to my experiment and end up having to “salvage” my experiment!!
You mention all the essentials of effective communication. On the face of it, it all seems very easy but on examination, it is clear that it is a minefield as to be really effective demands a heightened sensitivity to both the other's needs and use of language. In other words, the more culturally and emotionally removed the parties are froem one another, the greater the chance of failure.
ReplyDeleteMrs Richardson
Hey you changed your template! hahah :) nice!*
ReplyDeleteMy comments: It is never easy to effectively communicate unless you know the other party inside out. This is the main reason why we are all here in this class, learning effective communication. You spoke of all the theories and so on, but have you ever applied them in your life? I hope you did! ;) And to further enhance each and every of your interaction with your friends, I think it would be best to appropriately use the correct "technique" in different contexts. This means that you must internalize the tactics used and to apply to situations which you deem as suitable.
Let us avoid all misunderstandings! ;)